Winter Carnivals in MN: 5 Places to Enjoy Winter in Minnesota
Minnesota is known for its winter wonderland. Don’t let the winter in MN go by without enjoying at least one winter carnival or festival. Plan a MN Weekend Getaway to visit one of these top winter carnivals in MN.
- Saint Paul Winter Carnival, Saint Paul, MN: Minnesota’s classic cold-weather celebration marks its 127th season this winter. Enjoy favorite traditions including ice sculptures, the King Boreas Grande Day Parade, snow sculptures and the medallion hunt. Try new favorites including Red Bull Crashed Ice and the Beer Dabbler craft beer event.
- Ice Box Days, International Falls, MN: There’s no place better to celebrate winter than the nation’s ice box – International Falls. Ski by candlelight in Voyageurs National Park, try your luck at frozen turkey bowling or snow sculpting, and run in the Freeze Yer Gizzard 5K and 10K runs. The festival takes place annually the third weekend of January.
- Ely Winter Festival, Ely, MN: The first two weeks of February mark Ely, MN’s Winter Festival. See spectacular snow sculptures as part of the International Snow Sculpture Symposium, see a Voyageur encampment and learn how the voyageurs survived the winter, and visit the downtown Ely ArtWalk. Other favorites include a fish fry, dog sled rides and ice fishing contest.
- Winter Tracks Festival, Cook County, MN: The North Shore knows how to do winter like no one else. Recognize the season in Cook County the first 10 days of February. Highlights include family Olympic races at Lutsen Mountains, snowshoe hikes, snowmobiling across more than 450 miles of trails, plein air art exhibit, dog sled rides, horse-drawn sleigh rides and candlelight skiing.
- Polar Fest, Detroit Lakes, MN: Taking place the second two weekends in February, Detroit Lake’s Polar Fest claims to make winter “cool.” Watch as visitors take an icy polar plunge into Detroit Lake. Other activities include snowmobiling, a Freeze Your Buns 5K run, a youth ice fishing competition and a winter fireworks display.
Don’t be overcome with cabin fever this winter. Make it a MN Weekend Getaway and enjoy Minnesota’s winter beauty.
Find something new℠.